WEJF Acts to Preserve LSC Funding
Dear Friends of Wisconsin Equal Justice Fund:
President Trump’s proposed budget eliminates all funding for the Legal Services Corporation. Wisconsin’s two LSC funded legal aid providers, Legal Action of Wisconsin (LAW) and Wisconsin Judicare, will be severely impacted by the elimination of the LSC.
WEJF is the primary source of private funding for LAW and Judicare. Since our inception in 1997, we have raised $5 million from lawyers, law firms, and corporations in Wisconsin to support the important work of our legal aid providers. While we are grateful for the generosity of the legal community, private funding alone is only one part of the equation. The partnership of the federal government is absolutely critical to the ability of these organizations to assist Wisconsin residents and safeguard our American ideal of “justice for all.”
Over the past few weeks, WEJF has taken steps to help preserve the crucial funding of the LSC:
- We have written a letter to Wisconsin’s Congressional delegates to urge them to reinstate federal funding for LSC during the budget approval process.
- Members of our Board of Directors spoke at two press conferences to inform the media about the great need for legal aid services. Art Harrington, President-Elect of our Board of Directors, spoke to the press in Milwaukee, and longtime Board member and Past President Paul Norman spoke to press in Madison.
- We are sending letters to the editors of newspapers across the state in the coming weeks to explain the importance of pro bono civil legal aid services to the general public and community leaders.
As a friend of WEJF, I invite you to join us in advocating for the continued funding of the LSC. Here’s how you can help:
- Write a letter or call your Congressional delegates to urge them to reinstate funding for the LSC.
- Fill out the online form to become a Legal Aid Defender through the American Bar Association. They will hand deliver your message to your Congressional representative.
- Share on social media and invite your friends and followers to join the effort.
- Consider making a gift to WEJF to support our legal aid providers while their ability to provide crucial services to thousands in need hangs in the balance.
Over the coming weeks, we will continue to take action on this issue as the federal budget approval process continues. If you have any questions, comments, or suggestions, please don’t hesitate to contact me or engage with us on our social media channels.
As always, thank you so much for being a friend of WEJF and our legal aid providers.
Executive Director, Wisconsin Equal Justice Fund, Inc.