Legal Aid Resources
Wisconsin Equal Justice Fund, Inc. is a fundraising organization only. In order to ensure that the maximum amount of every dollar raised can be used to support our mission, we maintain a minimal staff presence. We do not have attorneys on staff, and we are not able to dispense legal advice or make referrals.
If you need legal assistance, you may find the organizations and programs below to be helpful resources.
Pro Bono Civil Legal Aid Organizations:
- Legal Action of Wisconsin – Serves residents in the southern half of Wisconsin, including Milwaukee, Madison, the Fox Valley, and La Crosse.
- Wisconsin Judicare – Serves residents in the northern half of Wisconsin, including Wausau and the Chippewa Valley
- Disability Rights Wisconsin– Serves Wisconsin residents with disabilities with offices in Milwaukee, Madison, and Rice Lake
Online Answers to Legal Questions:
- Wisconsin Free Legal Answers – An online service for low-income residents who cannot afford a lawyer. It offers brief and
confidential legal advice when you have a civil (not criminal) legal question. And, it’s free.
For help finding a lawyer:
- State Bar of Wisconsin’s Lawyer Referral and Information Service – If you have a legal problem and you’re looking for an attorney or other legal assistance in Wisconsin, the State Bar of Wisconsin Lawyer Referral and Information Service (LRIS) is here to help you figure out if you need to hire a lawyer, and how to proceed if you do.